E34 unexplained chime

Posting for a net impaired, car impaired friend who recently bought a '95 525. She has been
hearing a chime that sounds 3 times, at varying times of the day, varying driving conditions, and
no indications on the OBC as to what if any problem there is. No service indicator lights
illuminate either. She called me for advice, but I'm at a loss myself. I didn't run across
anything in the archives.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/