RE: Buncha Buncha Help Requested

Richard R. Coker [mailto:richardcoker@domain.elided] wrote:

> Ok, a number of questions I was hoping you guys and gals can
> help me with, PLLLLLEEASSEEE.  I have a 1996 328iS with appox.
> 62,000. miles on it. What I am wondering is how much longer my
> shocks should last OR should I replace them now.

OEM E36 shocks are all? Boges. My very biased personal opinion of them is
that they are crap. The short answer is that YMMV.
I had them on my E30 and they were shot long before 100K mile mark when I
finally replaced them with Bilstein HDs.
My wife's '98 328i has them and the rears were recently replaced under
warranty when the left rear one leaked at 38K miles.
My '95 M3 has them and my front shocks wont rebound if I press them in with
one finger. I can see Konis in the near future for that car (no Bilsteins as
Sports are too short for stock springs and too damn hard).

> Any other maintenance replacements I should consider other
> than what is listed for schedule I and II??

Not unless something is broken or worn off (pads/rotors/tires - the usual).

> Also, does anybody have a good place to get crossed drilled
> rotors, the best price I have gotten so far is $76. a piece
> and the last ones I got lasted only 12,000. miles.

A great place to order rotors is Steve D (www.ultimategarage.com)
He sells either Brembo or Bolo M3 rotors for $60, regular E36 rotors for
probably less than that.
These are normal rotors without the holes or slots.

> Is there any other items I should keep an eye on for possible
> future problems???  (I have already replaced the waterpump as
> preventive care). Also, I can get two pairs of regular rotors
> for the cost of one pair of cross drilled, are they really
> worth the added cost?

Nope, they are certainly nor worth.
I can think of only two reasons to buy cross drilled/slotted rotors: if they
fall in price to below their unmolested counterparts and vanity.

> Two other questions, how hard is it to change the brake circuit
> and my parking park has become weak in gripping ability what
> would be the normal fix for this??

The parking brake is adjustable so that you can tighten the cable as it
stretches over time.
Not so sure what kind of problems you are experiencing with the 'brake
circuit'.

good luck,
alex f