RE: 535i steering issue

> There is about
> an inch of play in the steering wheel when turning the wheel
> left to right
> or right to left before there is an actual directional change
> occuring in
> the wheels of the car.  I mentioned this to my mechanic (BMW
> only shop) and
> while the car was on a lift he moved each front wheel looking
> for play or
> steering issues and didn't seem to think anything was wrong.

Two things: rear subframe to unibody bushings and front-end rebuild.

I have the same problem with an E21: too much play at highway speeds and not
much play when weels are lifted from ground. I know the rear bushings are
fine, but the front end probably needs a rebuild: I would start with the
tie-rod ends.

Bye,

Paulo