[e36] pinging under any load

For the past thousand miles or so, I've been experiencing an
increasingly worse pinging under any load in my 94 325i.  It's not
constant, but seems to happen randomly.  Can anyone explain some of the
causes of pinging?  I've heard that a lean fuel condition may cause it.
I replaced the fuel filter a couple weeks ago thinking maybe I had a
clogged filter, but it didn't help any.  About 8k miles or so ago I
replaced the spark plugs.  Using advice found here and on the web, I
decided to use Bosch F7LDCR plugs instead of the plugs recommended in
the owners manual- Bosch NGK.  Maybe this was a bad decision?  I also
moved to Mobil 1 synthetic (10w-30) about 10k miles ago.  Maybe I need
to go to a higher grade?

Thanks for any help,
Jason