[E28] K&N - good or bad?

I need to replace the air filter in my '87 528e, and I about choked when I
saw the prices on cheap paper filters.  At Advance Auto, they had a
Purolator filter in stock for something like $12, and I think they wanted
something close to that for a Fram.  They can sell me a K&N for about $37.
Based on the cost comparison, it will pay off quickly.

Can someone give me some feedback on their experiences with a K&N in a 528e?
I don't necessarily expect a dramatic improvement in anything, but I
certainly want to know if there have been bad experiences.

Thanks in advance...
Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco