Re: M3 cat removal

thanks for the input... i don't know much about exhaust systems anad so i
figured i ask.... what you say makes sense...
howeverr, i would like to, at least, replace the headers as they are
showing rust and i suspect them guilty of rattleting when down shifting and
below 4k rpm.... anyone here experiencing the same rattle noise...? 94 e36

Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    Naregindustri
                    es@domain.elided           To:     Nicolas.Roman@domain.elided, bmw-digest@domain.elided
                                         cc:
                    03/22/2001           Subject:     M3 cat removal
                    10:59 AM

I wouldn't recommend removing the catalytic converter even if Miami has no
emissions testing.  Modern cats are very effective at doing what they do.
They create the right amount of backpressure for your engine to breathe
correctly and create torque in the low ranges.  Plus the amount of
environmental damage you will do doesn't even come close to the miniscule
amount of benefit you may get at high speed runs.  I'm not some
enviro-loony,
but the facts are what they are.

It's also my opinion that most people are just wasting a ton of money
whenever they "upgrade" their exhaust systems for street use.  There are so

many hard dyno numbers to prove that the systems that BMW uses are indeed
top
notch and whatever increase one may get out of a modified system, again on
the street, is trivial.

Your opinion may vary.

Gary Krumian

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic21726.gif]