535i steering issue

I have an '86 535i that is experiencing a great deal of steering wheel play
which is affecting the stability and handling of the car. This is especially
apparent at highway speeds where trying to keep the car going straight
becomes a chore, rather than a piece of cake as it should be. There is about
an inch of play in the steering wheel when turning the wheel left to right
or right to left before there is an actual directional change occuring in
the wheels of the car.  I mentioned this to my mechanic (BMW only shop) and
while the car was on a lift he moved each front wheel looking for play or
steering issues and didn't seem to think anything was wrong. Can anybody
tell me what's probably going on?  and if so how difficult a fix will it be?
Any help is appreciated.

MMH

'86 535i
'87 325is