Inspection II

I have just almost completed my first inspection II and thought some of the other members might be interested in some roadblocks I hit.  (For others of you this is old hat but I wish I had known this prior)   This was performed on my 1997 BMW 328iS.

1) First to change the oil you will need I believe it was a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter from the case.   (I bought a 25-30mm set and it could have taken the 28mm---I couldn't believe it Napa Pro or Parts City didn't have them but Walmart did!)

2) The O-Ring on the filter goes in the groove on the filter insert---be sure and note where the old one was and replace exactly there.

3) Mobile One does not carry a 40 weight synthetic/at least I couldn't find any.

4) A nice 14mm allen wrench is required to remove change the differential fluid as is a differential fluid additive.  (I have not yet completed this and I am really unsure if the allen wrench has adequate room to take off and on the fill plug but it does reach the
drain plug.)  The Bentley says to use a 14mm allen socket but the 1/2 inch one I purchased would not fit in the small space to reach the plug---there went $20.  I doubt any socket would work.

5) If I had it to do over again I would plan on replacing the stock drain plug bolt on the oil pan.

6) The spark plugs were a dream to do and the micro filter a true pain.

7) You will need some sort of device to shoot the tranny fluid and differential fluid into the units as there is not way to "pour" it in.

8) Everything except the oil filter and micro filter I got pretty easily from the local parts store.  (not incl. the special parts which came from Walmart or the Snap On man)  The others parts came mail order from a list member.

All in all if I can do it than most people with an 8th grade education can to.  Just takes a little time and those few special parts.

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of RichardCoker.vcf]

End of bmw-digest V9 #1621