Who's in 1'st? 95 325is - tran slipping out of 1'st

I have a 1995 325is 5-spd, with about 93,000 miles.

Lately, it has been slipping out of 1'st, into neutral, with a "thud", when
driving off from a stop, or sometimes somewhat after that. Once driving,
though, it stays in 1'st just fine. Passengers are beginning to complain,
and want compensation for their dental bills.

Attempting to correct this situation without taking a great deal of care
will result in some awful synchro whine...

Mechanic says it's time for a new transmission.

Hopeful me wants a second opinion.

The previous owner MAY have (er, probably...) abused the transmission. She
sold the car because she couldn't get used to driving a manual
transmission.  I got a free clutch under warranty shortly after taking
delivery of the car. It was "shuddering" when taking off from a stop.

Any ideas? Do I necessarily need a whole new transmission, or is repair an
option? If I need a new transmission, I'd like some ideas for sources. My
mechanic thought that I might be able to find a "pull" of a stock M-3
transmission being prepared for the track. (Will this work in my 325?)

Thanks.

Jon Tara
95 325is : Bilstein/Eibach/Eibach/Kinesis/Shark/Thud/Thud/Thud!
jtara@domain.elided
BMWCCA #149631