Re: Control arm bushings

Paul Graveling wrote about his e30:
> I need to replace the control arm bushings on the
> front control arms.  Can these be bought separately
> for this model?

Yes.  BMW part number 31 12 9 058 931
US$35 per set from http://www.ultimategarage.com

> Are there any alternative bushings which are better
> than the original equipment? I've read somewhere
> about some stiffer bushings which 'tighten-up' the
> suspension...

Try the E30M3 bushings.  I can't find the part number,
US$82 per set from http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com

They're stiffer rubber, with less airspace in the
donut.  Plus, the hole is offset from center, which
pushes the back of the control arm out, which pivots
about the ball joint, which moves the wheel forward,
which increases caster.  It also adds just a bit
more negative camber, but only when turning, which
is when you want it.

But check very closely whether your ball joints are
really healthy.  If there's any doubt, or if you
don't know for sure they've already been done in
96K miles, you might as well do them too while you're
in there.  There's some debate whether the aluminum
M3 control arms at US$200 provide a performance
improvement worth the price difference from the
non-M arms at US$85.  The US$115 per side reduces
unsprung weight, but not rotating mass.
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS