Re: E36 M3 Rotors

Sam,

Your mechanic is full of s**t.  My M3 is only driven on weekends, and it may
go several weeks without driving.  In the winter, it has spent in excess of
one month without being driven.

I have no problems with rusting rotors.  In fact, the only time I've seen
rusting rotors is after the car has been washed.  Surface rust will form on
the rotors within a matter of hours.  As soon as the car has been driven
(and stopped a few times), the rust is worn off.

You didn't say anything about recent events that may have contributed to
your "brake shimmy" problem.  Did your car just start to do this one day?
Did it gradually increase over time?  Did it happen after a driver's school
weekend?  How many miles are on the brakes?

I "cooked" my stock brake pads after a weekend at Summit Point, and
encountered a vibrating brake pedal.  The problem went away after a few
weeks of driving, but the brake pads never grabbed as well as they did prior
to being "cooked".  I now run the Euro floating rotors and PF-90 brake pads
at the track, and have no problems.

- -rb
'95 M3