E36 M3 Rotors

>My brakes now shimmy.  I took my car to the dealer and the tech asked
>me a few questions about my driving habits, and suggested that the
>problem could be rust (he didn't ask about any track time).

Do you have track time? Your rotors may be warped.

>1)  Does this sound right?  Do the rotors rust if you don't drive everyday?

They'll rust if they get wet, regardless of how often you drive the car
(they made of iron/steel after all :-)).

>2)  Shouldn't a problem like this be covered under warranty?  Infrequent use
>     is hardly a misuse of the car!

Check what's covered under warranty in your Warranty Manual - I don't
believe rotors are covered, regardless of use (or lack thereof :-)).

>3)  Should I get 3rd party brake rotors?  I'm sure they will perform
better on
>     the track.

Not necessarily, they'll just be cheaper to replace. FWIW, I use Brembos up
front (streeT & track use), which I get locally for $90/set.

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - a lot track time, a lot of front rotors :-)