Brakes

>Any words of wisdom or particulars of the BMW I should keep in mind on my
96 328iS >when changing front rotors and pads or is the job pretty much
like any other car?

A good Web page with info on pad changes is:
http://www.racepad.com/

Check under "Tech".

>One other question.  Where do others place jack stands to avoid damage to
the >undercarriage?

At that factory jacking points? There should be a "hockey puck"-looking pad
under your car right were the stock jack slides into the side of the car.
That's the best, IMO, place to put jackstands.

A good Web page with jacking & supporting your car info is:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/tools/all_jacking_and_supporting_your_car.h
tml

I generally jack the car from the subframes, front or rear, then put jack
stands at the jack points.

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - up in the air so much it thinks it's an airplane :-)