<E28> headlight upgrade & diff. question

Eben,

For headlights, spend ~$90 and upgrade to the Hella H1/H4 setup.  You
can get these lights from Turner, etc.  These lights have a much nicer
beam pattern than your stock sealed beams.  Plus, if that's not good
enough for you, you can upgrade to higher wattage bulbs (80/110, if you
want!).  Stay away from the Piaa SuperWhites -- they're expensive and
burn out fast.

Regarding your diff. question, my '85 325e turns a tick over 3500 rpm
at 85 mph.  I think I have the 2.91 (I checked a while back, but can't
remember).  To find out for sure what you have, check the tag on the
back of your diff.  It's located on one of the cover mounting bolts on
the passenger side...  It'll have the ratio, and an "S" if it's a LSD
stamped on it.

3500 rpm isn't too high to run these engines.  I've done
Detroit-Colorado Springs trips averaging 80 mph, and haven't had any
problems (knock on wood!).  The Eta engine is very durable...don't
worry about running it at 3k for two hours.

Regarding the chip, a JimC chip is the biggest bang-for-the-buck
performance upgrade out there, especially for an Eta.  You won't regret
spending $225 (from Turner) on it.  And it's a much better product than
Dinan...

    KC Boyce
    '85 325e
    E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/