Re: 87 325 electrical problems

At 12:29 PM 4/15/99 , you wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>I'm having some electrical difficulties with my 87 325.  It is
consistently burning out
>taillights.  Some other symptoms include having to enter the security code
on the
>stereo periodically, the brake light out indicator on every time I start
the car until the
>brake pedal is hit, also the speakers crackle when the volume is adjusted
only when
>the car is cold.

Tim,
I don't know about the other problems, but:

Having to hit the brake pedal for the taillights to go out is normal; the
system doesn't check the lights until you hit the pedal for the first time
after startup.

The speakers crackling when you adjust the volume happens to all rotary
volume controls with time-- it's cuased by either dirt or the degeneration
of the metals in the volume control.  Either spray it with contact cleaner
if you can get in there, ignore it, or if you can't stand it, it's time for
a radio upgrade.

Jason