Re: brakes

Max braking capability depends on the coefficient of friction of the tires,
the surface area/patch of tire that is on the road, and the weight of the vehicle.
Given two tires with the same coefficient of friction, the one with the largest
contact patch CAN (not necessarily WILL) be stopped quicker.

If the brakes can lockup the vehicle's wheels with a given set of tires, then
the brakes are sufficient for stopping the vehicle at its quickest possible
rate with that set of tires.  The rest depends the capabilities/control of the driver.

Norm

Dubiousbtl@domain.elided wrote:

> Ok, now I am thouroughly confused.  If slotted/cross-drilled/larger rotors
> won't help a car stop faster (shorter), then what will?  What can be done to
> shorten the stopping distance?  I would've thought that the larger the rotor
> and hence pad, the more friction and thus better stopping power.  or maybe
> not, considering skinnier tires have more friction because the weight of the
> car is concentrated on less area, or.....bottom line though, i have an '87
> 325--- what WILL help to stop better?  I think I heard something about the
> brakes from a 933....sounds expensive.  And, do SS brakelines help the
> performance or the feel of the brakes? What purpose do SS lines serve?
>
> Trying to figure it out,
> TIA,
> Cam
> 87 325

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***