RE: '87 325 Aux cooling fan problem

"Rick G" <rickg@domain.elided>

> The auxillary electric radiator cooling fan on my '87 325
> recently started to run continuouslly.  [...] I suspect a
> sensor has gone bad, but how could I be sure and where on
> the engine would I find the sensor?

Rick,
On my '89 325i the sensor is on the top of the passenger side of the
radiator. I remember reading in Bentley that different years had sensors on
different sides of the radiator.
It is not possible that you had shorted and fried it during the high
pressure wash.
Make the effort to replace either the temp sensor or the hi-speed resistor
(on the aux. fan) ASAP. Running the ($250) aux. fan at max speed all the
time will bring it to an untimely death.

> Is it difficult to change out?

Screw the old one out, put a new one in. 30 seconds?
You should be able to test the sensor first. I don't remember the resistance
values by heart, but Bentley certainly has them (if you don't have E30
Bentley manual => get it!)

good luck,
alex f