'87 325 Aux cooling fan problem

The auxillary electric radiator cooling fan on my '87 325 recently started
to run continuouslly.  I hope it had nothing to do with giving the engine
compartment a good cleaning at the local hi pressure car wash.

To keep it from draining the battery again, I disconnected a 3 terminal
connector located just behind the grille (red, brown, black to blk/grn
stripe, blk/blue stripe, brown).  I suspect a sensor has gone bad, but how
could I be sure and where on the engine would I find the sensor?  Is it
difficult to change out?

Thanks

Rick