diesel engine oil as an engine cleaner

Hello all,

Does anyone here know if using it is possible to use
lubricant for diesel engines (i.e. Chevron Dello
15w50) as an engine cleaner? I mean run it in the car
for a few days with a new filter and then changing it
to fresh synthetic oil.

Trying to get rid as much crud/mess from the old
engine as possible. I heard that diesel oil has a lot
of detergent. I know synthetic would do ok but Chevron
Dello is much much cheaper 8-). Not as a permemant
source of engine lubricant, just as a "cleaner" for a
few hundred miles.

Thanks

Zamani