RE: <E36> How Does One Clean Headlight Covers ?

I've had a similar problem with the headlight covers on my E36 325i.  I think the problem was more with the exterior of the headlights covers as they were pitted and scratched.  I had some success using the 3M Wet-or-Dry sandpaper stuff to smooth out the headlight covers and the plastic cleaner to polish them.  In either case, the unofficial BMW site has a fairly good list of car care tips.  There are entries for cleaning both the inside and outside of the headlights at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/all/carcare/all_polishing_plastic.html

and

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/exterior/e36_cloudy_headlights.html

Dan Hermann