85 535i AC overhaul

Hi everyone,
                    I have a 1985 E28 535i that I am doing some engine
work on. The air conditioning system is very weak and needs to be
overhauled. I would like to remove the whole system - compessor, hoses
etc, and have them reconditioned while I clean up the engine. It will
have to be changed over from R12 and I know I will need a professional
shop to do some of the work. The Bentley manual warns that the system is
under high pressure (although I doubt that mine is anymore). I know that
any freon left in the system can be dangerous to inhale and shouldn't be
released into the air. Has anyone out there ever taken their AC system
apart, and if so, are there any tricks or precautions that should be
taken? Thanks to anyone who can help.
                     Rick Zimmerman