RE: Newbee questions

> Anyone can shed some light on the problems I am having with my newly
> aquired 1991 318i conv.? The car runs hot, about 3/4 way up the gauge,
> and even higher at highway speeds. No visible leaks, but the coolant
> level was low when I got the car a few days ago. Adding coolant didn't
> make any difference in temperature readings.

Dead (partially stuck closed) thermostat?
That would be the least expansive guess (~$20). To find out for sure, invest
5 minutes in removing the thermostat (see Bentley for instructions if
necessary: http://www.rb.com). Then boil your old thermostat with a
thermometer in the container and observe when the thermostat starts to open.
Thermostats are rated at different temperatures. Yours is probably 80C
thermostat (should say so somewhere on the thermostat housing). It should
start opening at 80C (+/- a few) and be fully open within 10C.

If the thermostat is OK, then move on to the main fan (mechanical fan with
viscous clutch). With the engine cold, you should be able to turn the fan
with minimal resistance. With the engine warmed up (15 minute drive), the
fan should turn with heavy resistance. If the fan is free wheeling with hot
engine, you need a new fan ($60?).

If the main fan clutch is OK, you've can have a clogged radiator. Try to
flush it first. If that doesn't help, OEM (Behr) radiators go for around
$240. Non-Behr radiators can be had for $150-200.

Now the last and least pleasant possibility. I believe your '91 318i has the
M42 engine with the dreaded profile gasket fault. Do you have any water
(milky residue) in your oil? I hope not, since the reports parts + labor
replacement costs are in the $800-1200 range. This is a known design
failure, that remains unacknowledged by BMW. The gaskets seam to fail with
around 70K miles on the engine. How many do you have? To learn more about
this BMW fiasco, search the digest archives for 'profile gasket' at:
http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/search.html

Note: the above prices apply to M20B25 engines (325i's). The prices for your
M42B18 (318i) may be different.

> The engine has a loud whine to it that increases with the rpm's.
> Timing belt? Tensioner bearing? ABS? Is replacing a timing belt
> a DIY job on this car?

I believe M42 has a chain.
Where does the noise originate? Engine? Front of the car as you turn
(bearings)? Rear of the car (rear bearings, rear differential)?
Then again, the noise could be a M42 engine 'feature'. Other M42 owners will
have to chime in on this one.

Start with Steve at http://www.ultimategarage.com
For more BMW related links, check out http://www.bmwlinks.com

> Is there a Haynes manual for this model, and how good is it?
> are there better manuals out there?

Haynes is useless, except for fast lookups in the .pdf format.
Get the Bentley manual. It is listed for $50, but can be had for $31.97 from
http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=b&id=2709974

> Thanks in advance for any and all help.

hope this helps,
alex f