Newbee questions

Anyone can shed some light on the problems I am having with my newly
aquired 1991 318i conv.?

The car runs hot, about 3/4 way up the gauge, and even higher at highway
speeds. No visible leaks, but the coolant level was low when I got the
car a few days ago. Adding coolant didn't make any difference in
temperature readings.

The engine has a loud whine to it that increases with the rpm's. Timing
belt? Tensioner bearing? ABS? Is replacing a timing belt a DIY job on
this car?

What are the good mail-order parts suppliers?

Is there a Haynes manual for this model, and how good is it?  are there
better manuals out there?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Val
Portland, OR