Re: The 7... Too large a car for a single guy?

Steve Robinson wrote:
> Subject: RE: The 7... Too large a car for a single guy?
>
> > I was taking my fiancee to get her hair cut and highlighted
> > at this upscale salon last Saturday [...] ownder discovered
> > I had a 1995 740i as well.  He couldn't believe a young guy
> > like me (I'm 38 - maybe not so young?), single for the past
> > 6 years had such a huge car! He told my fiancee that it
> > "doesn't fit his image - what does he need such a large car
> > for?  why doesn't he trade it in and get something more
> > sporty?  it's an old man's car!!! do you really want to be
> > driving around in that unwieldy boat?"

        Drive what you like, period.  Tell the owner of the hair salon that
his gold chains need some more polish and that a bird just pooped on his
Corvette.  Ask him if his new girlfriend's parents know that she sneaks out
of the house on a school night.

> > I was shocked!  I didn't think the car had that image to
> > other people.

        Perhaps it does.  Perhaps it does particularly to cops so they may
not notice "rational driving" (i.e. ignoring the posted speed limit and
driving the appropriately safe speed).  This falls into the category of
"stealth" and is a good thing.

>>Am I nuts?

        A qualified professional should be solicited for an opinion on that
one.  I'm simply a qualified amateur.

> > Sure wish it had better seats.

        Consult a good re-upholstery shop about "shimming" the seats with
additional foam at the sides of the back and bottom cusions (where a true
sport seat would have bolsters).  I spoke with a shop about doing this to a
flat-seated vehicle a few years back, they said it's very simple and the
results are worthwhile.

> > Anyone else out there question the immensity of these cars
> > at times and wish they had a little boy racer? >>

        Considering that they are very different, I doubt many people have
considered them "parity" items.

> > The thing of
> > it is, I need an automatic as I use it for sales and am in
> > grid lock traffic most of the time.  It would be hard to go
> > from a 7 to an M3, an automatic M3, or.... would it?

        It would seem you've answered your own question!  You need the
automatic, and if you're carrying clients you probably need the interior
room.

        If you value the hair salon owner's opinion that much, make sure you
drive your Porsche by his place every couple of days.

- - Rob Levinson
'88 M5 Dinan Turbo (wearing the E34 M5 wheels from the car that Steve used
to own)
UUC Digest ListOwner:  http://www.bubbaclub.com/bmwuucdigest/