RE: M20 Highway/City Idle behavior

> I'll drive several hours at highway speeds, end up in a city
> driving slower with lots of idling for a while. Everything
> works fine. Next day start up and idle is especially irregular
> and/or stalls repeatedly. Drive for a while (feeding it
> throttle at stop signs) and the behavior disappears.
>
> Is this a matter of the ECU readjusting after the extended
> highway speeds? If so, why doesn't the problem occur
> immediately when exiting the highway rather than the next day?

Jon,
	This is most likely a cold idle problem. Which would explain the
timing of your creative idle sequences.
	I had a similar problem with my '89 325i that turned out to be a bad
Idle Control Valve. A new ICV is around $150 new or about $60 used. The
interesting part is that the bad ICV did check out in all Bentley voltage
tests. After the replacement the car is back to normal.
	In my case I would get weird loopy idle in the morning supplemented
by check engine light if I tried to accelerate too hard (3+K rpms) during
the first 10 minutes of driving. Only when the ambient temperature was below
60F. Go figure.

good luck,
alex