M20 Highway/City Idle behavior

I've experienced the following odd behavior a few times now, wondered if
anyone else had, or had an explanation:

I'll drive several hours at highway speeds, end up in a city driving slower
with lots of idling for a while. Everything works fine. Next day start up
and idle is especially irregular and/or stalls repeatedly. Drive for a
while (feeding it throttle at stop signs) and the behavior disappears.

Is this a matter of the ECU readjusting after the extended highway speeds?
If so, why doesn't the problem occur immediately when exiting the highway
rather than the next day?

Since it eventually takes care of itself, it's not a real concern, but I
was curious....

Jon
'91 325iX

End of bmw-digest V9 #1098