Re: In the trunk of my e28

Maria writes:

> In the trunk of my 83 528e there is this strange plastic box.  It is located
> right above the rear passenger side tire.  There are two hoses conected to
> it, but I'm not sure where they go to.  The box is empty and I would like to
> remove it so that I have extra room.  It is just sorta dangling there now
> that I have put new speakers in my car so that it doesn't fit nicely into
> it's original place. If anyone knows what this is for and if I can remove it
> I would appreciate it.

Maria

As memory serves me that is that "expansion / overflow" tank.  The hoses
are connected to the fuel tank/filler/ system.

This is required because when you fill your tank with cold fuel it will
expand if the air temperature is warmer than the fuel in the ground. As
the fuel expands it has to go somewhere and that tank is to take the
overflow of fuel, or vapors.

One of the tubes leads up to the "purge cannister" (front corner of the
front fender on passenger side). This is the "vent to air" route when
fuel vapor pressure is too high. The vapors are supposedly captured in
the purge canister and then sucked into the engine for burning when
driving.

So you sort of don't want to remove that "plastic box" - unless of
course you like the smell of gas fumes in your trunk - which by the way
will help open a stuck trunk lid - when the electric lock operates it
might ignite the fumes and then the trunk lid will open - real fast -
stand way back!

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada

PS - is it OK for vegetarians to eat Animal Crackers ?