In the trunk of my e28

In the trunk of my 83 528e there is this strange plastic box.  It is located
right above the rear passenger side tire.  There are two hoses conected to
it, but I'm not sure where they go to.  The box is empty and I would like to
remove it so that I have extra room.  It is just sorta dangling there now
that I have put new speakers in my car so that it doesn't fit nicely into
it's original place. If anyone knows what this is for and if I can remove it
I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Maria