Re: E24 fuel indicator

Carl Gadener Carl.Gadener@domain.elided <mailto:Carl.Gadener@domain.elided>
wrote...

<<<Hi,
2 times now, I have run out of fuel because the on-board computer tells me
I have between 9-11 miles left of fuel. Is the problem with the computer or
the
fuel sensor in the tank ?
Thanks,
Carl Gadener>>>

Let me guess...  You're a Sun Microsystems UNIX person.  You're used to
seeing download status bars that tell you how much time is left before the
ftp completion.  Well it doesn't work like that with cars.  Measuring
remaining fuel in the tank is not as exact science as counting bytes.  I
think every OBC has some margin of error when it comes to remaining fuel.
My OBC actually goes blank '---' below 10 miles.  That means: "forget that
it just showed 10 miles left... any time now."    ;)

BTW, it's not a good idea to run your tank low every time.  On some cars,
(E36)  the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, so you're running a risk of
premature fuel pump failure.

Rob <never ran out of fuel> Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536