RE: HELP - want to add rear fog light

Michael Russell writes:

> I have just purchased, (although I have not taken delivery yet) a 1999 =
>  323i sedan, (E-46) and live in the US, but I want the rear fog light =
>  that seems only available on the Eurpean model. Does anybody have any =
>  idea if the wiring will be there to do this, or is it likely the BMW has =
>  a different harness for the North American cars? If the wiring is there, =
>  is it as simple as changing the front swith panel, and adding a rear =
>  socket and bulb?

Michael

I did this on my E28, and again on my E39.  It was easy on the E28, but
more difficult on the E39 due to the software issue in the "Lamp Control
Module".

But your E46 presents a very different issue.   On the E39 the LCM is
separate,  and I was able to "modify" the existing dash switch and
wiring to trick the LCM into powering the rear fogs (just ordered and
changed the front dial panel to show the extra positions).  Then it was
just a matter of running wiring from the to the tail lights and placing
bulbs, etc.

On yours you will probably be able to remove the plastic "knock out" in
the tail light and fit a bulb. And it is always possible to run wiring
to the dash - BUT....

The "issue" on the E46 is that the LCM and the lighting control switch
are an integrated module (the LCM electronics appear to be integrated
into the rear of the switch).
And the North American models do not have the  extra switch on the front
of this unit for the rear fogs.

So your only viable option would appear to be to use a separate switch
mounted somewhere around the dash (switch and location of your
choosing). Not OEM looking - but will probably function just as well.
As a source of power you should be able to splice into the power lead
that "feeds" the LCM ( rear of the light switch module)

Please understand I am determining this from my experience with the
E39,  and some parts information I saw for the E46.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada