Re: HELP - want to add rear fog light

Michael writes:
<< Hello-
 I have had no luck with this question, hoping that the helpfull and =
 knowledgeable folks on this list will be able to give me some guidence. =
 I have just purchased, (although I have not taken delivery yet) a 1999 =
 323i sedan, (E-46) and live in the US, but I want the rear fog light =
 that seems only available on the Eurpean model. Does anybody have any =
 idea if the wiring will be there to do this, or is it likely the BMW has =
 a different harness for the North American cars? If the wiring is there, =
 is it as simple as changing the front swith panel, and adding a rear =
 socket and bulb? Has anybody done this yet, or done it on an E-36?

 Any and all help is greatly appreciated! >>

Mike,

My knowledge only pertains to E36 family of cars but most likely it also
applies to your soon to be E46.  All US spec BMW's have US specific wire
harnesses and even things like heated seats are not pre-wired unless you
have that option.  Basically nothing is pre-wired except for CD changers and
possibly cell phones.

As you noted, rear fog lights are European features, as they are mandated by
European laws.  It's possible to retrofit it, but is it worth it?  Well, it
all depends how bad you want this feature.  For my E36 it was a no-brainer.
Just the price of a new dash switch and a run of wire back to the left rear
light assembly.  Of course I already had the European clear lenses
installed.  :)

You have several choices how to accomplish this (YMMV - again I'm basing
this dissertation on my knowledge of E36 components, which may be radically
different from your E46 - or not.)

1.	You can purchase a European rear/left light assembly.  All you do is
find out the BMW part number from a source in Germany (John Firestone
perhaps if he's up to it) and order the part from your local dealer.   $$$
2.	You can wait and purchase clear lens set for your car if you're into
that.  Those will have European spec circuit boards supporting rear fog
light.  Not sure about the availability.  You may want to try Bekkers first.
$$$$  (most expensive choice, but you'll be one of the first on the block
sporting clear lenses on a E46...  Way cool!)
3.	You can modify your existing rear light assy to support rear fog
light.  Some basic electronic know how is required as well as soldering
experience.  $  (Check out Ron Stygar's page of amazing modifications. -
http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_ronstygar.html
<http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_ronstygar.html> )

All of the above still requires that you purchase a new switch for the dash
and run a wire to the rear of the car.  You will not be able to get the
correct dash light to illuminate like with your current fog lights.  Believe
me I've tried and got stuck after I found out that the little plastic insert
inside the cluster that has all the pictograms printed is not available
separately for the E36.  Major disappointment.

What part of fog laden country do you live in?  In the past 8 months, I've
used my rear fog light a grand total of two (2) times!

Rob Mudry
E36 '96 328is  (currently in the shop getting its clutch de-squeaked, and
front center vent de-rattled)
BMW CCA #135536