E39 braking problem

Four or five times now over several months, I've had the experience of =
reduced braking.  Each time occured as I exited from freeway driving and =
stopped at a traffic light.  The brake pedal required much more force than =
usual and there was a short range of no braking to full braking(ie =
depressed the pedal enough to normally slow down--nuttin', depress a =
little further--lots of stopping, sore neck).  This persisted until I =
stopped, turned car off and resumed, at which time returned to normal.  =
Took it to the dealer but they could not reproduce it(neither can I =
intentionally) and offered no advice.  Anyone have suggestions? =20

W Burnette
'97 528iA