Re: Snow tire/wheels

Keith writes:

> I recently purchased a '91 M5 and live in the northeast.  The car came with
> stock wheels and performance tires.  Obviously in the northeast, I need
> snow tires, but finding cheap wheels is tough.  I believe I have a few
> options - which is best?

I was dead set on finding some snows for my M5 when I bought it and searched
high and low for the cheap solution.  I never found it.  Luckily I didn't have
to use the car to commute (still don't).

When you're choosing sacrificial wheels you should remember that those funky
looking stock wheels are forged and e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.  If you break one you'll
be hating life.  If you still don't care, realize that you can take off the fans
to keep them from choking up with snow -- they bolt on from the back with some
funky triple-square bolts at _LOW_ torque.  If you start popping the fans on and
off remember LOW torque.  (Don't ask)

You'll need to find snows to fit 17x8 wheels.  They're not cheap.  The
realization I came to is that I could buy an entire disposable car for much less
than I could get snows onto mine.  If someone else hits a disposable car you can
just laugh and collect their insurance money.
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL <- For sale: http://www.bubbaclub.com/pat/m5sale.html
'88 325is destined for ITS <- 'cause of this one