E28 Wheels

Rob,

You probably already have responses to your E28 535i wheel question, but
here's mine anyhow.

The E28 M5 has 7.5X16" wheels with a 20MM offset.

These will fit on our cars, but almost certainly will require rolling the
rear lip.  I say almost because suspension and tire combos vary and there
are few absolutes when it comes to this process.  But, plan on it - not a
big deal.

My 1985 535i has been lowered and I have MIM Speedline Sportline wheels
(7.5X16") with 13MM offset (whoops) and with 225/50-16 Dunlop M40 M2s on it.
I also have offset front strut bushings that give me an additional .5
degrees of negative camber.  The rear fenders were rolled (with a baseball
bat, believe it or not - which is NOT uncommon).  Notice that my wheels have
only 13MM of offset - I was somewhat less educated about my car six years
ago!  I had to roll my rears a lot, including having a body shop "pull" the
arches to flare them an additional 5/8s of an inch or so.  I still get a
little rubbing, but it is something I can live with.

Moral of this, don't go much, if at all below 20MM of offset!

DO expect the ride to firm up noticeably - and look forward to your favorite
on and off ramps.....

Regards,

Reed
Seattle