<E28> Help, very high hydrocarbons on emissions test

Hi all,

I just took my 88 535i to the emissions test station and got some bad
news.  The hydrocarbons reading was excessively high (168ppm) and
very close to failing.  I connected a scope to the oxygen sensor
output to check if I have a bad sensor.  I saw a signal that varied
from .1 to 1 volt every few seconds when the sensor was connected to
the DME.  It looks like the sensor is working properly.  The other
thing I noticed is that the exhaust has a bad odor; not like
sulfur but perhaps more like a lawn mower engine.  It almost seems
like the cat is dead.  Is there any way to check this?  Is it
possible that the O2 sensor is working improperly even though it's
generating the proper voltage signals?

Any help is appreciated.

Brian Franchuk
87 325