Re:E28 Wheels

See comments below,

> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:43:54 -0500
> From: "Hunt, Reed (CAP, GEFA)" <Reed.Hunt@domain.elided>
> Subject: E28 Wheels
>

> The E28 M5 has 7.5X16" wheels with a 20MM offset.

Correct.

> These will fit on our cars, but almost certainly will require rolling the
> rear lip.  I say almost because suspension and tire combos vary and there
> are few absolutes when it comes to this process.  But, plan on it - not a
> big deal.

I would like to disagree here.  The E28 M5 wheels should fit any E28 without
fender rolling or trimming.  This was the whole idea behind these wheels.  On
my E28 535iS, I have custom ground wheels with 18mm offset at 16x8.  These
wheels fit exactly with Yoko A032R's @ 225/50's.  I couldn't ask for a better
fit without rolling or trimming.

> My 1985 535i has been lowered and I have MIM Speedline Sportline wheels
> (7.5X16") with 13MM offset (whoops) and with 225/50-16 Dunlop M40 M2s on it.
> I also have offset front strut bushings that give me an additional .5
> degrees of negative camber.  The rear fenders were rolled (with a baseball
> bat, believe it or not - which is NOT uncommon).  Notice that my wheels have
> only 13MM of offset - I was somewhat less educated about my car six years
> ago!  I had to roll my rears a lot, including having a body shop "pull" the
> arches to flare them an additional 5/8s of an inch or so.  I still get a
> little rubbing, but it is something I can live with.

Now 13mm offset, thats tough.  I agree that thats a real tough clearence.
It's also tough to get bigger than 245 width tires on these cars.  Dinan does
it but uses a real large offset, ~25-30mm.  This is for the rear clearence and
then they use a spacer on the front wheels to clear the strut tower.

> Moral of this, don't go much, if at all below 20MM of offset!

Again, 18mm is OK, but your mostly right, you can't go much more that that.

Take Care,
Russ

End of bmw-digest V9 #866