Re: Stroking

Chris, lest anyone on the Digest get the wrong idea from your comment:

>Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:25:43 -0800
>From: Chris Barton <barton@domain.elided>
>Subject: Stroking
>
>For anyone wondering just how much addl. displacement you can
>achieve through stroking....My 1989 Bronco has a 351 stroked to a 426.
>Very streetable and 475ft. lbs. of torque.
>
>Chris Barton
>1995 540i/6
>1989 Bronco 426 Stroker (quicker than my 540!)

I'd like to add that, when stroking an engine, there are practical limits and
there are physical limits, and they are different for each combination of
block/crank/piston/connecting rod.  I'm know nothing about the physical
limits of each design, so I'll let someone else comment on that.  BUT...  If
the stroke is increased too much, it increases the maximum angle that the
connecting rods achieve relative to the cylinder.  If the angle is extreme,
it can cause excessive or premature wear of the cylinder walls.  In other
words, it may work for a while, but you'll be needing to hone the
cylinders, at minimum, a whole lot sooner than you might expect.  So the
practical limits of the engine must be determined before you just go
stroke an engine.  As with all car modifications, there are trade-offs.
One should attempt to find the practical limits before undertaking the
project.

I must say, though, that 475 lb-ft sounds awsome!  How's the gas
mileage?

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977