Re: <e30> dead radio

Hi David,

Your radio may have a dead volume knob. Other then not making sound, does
the radio work? Did it crackle before it went silent?

My radio often crackles. It's because the potentiometer (knob) that
controls the volume is dirty/worn. They always do this eventually.

If that is your problem, you could replace it. For that, you'd have to take
the radio out of your car and disassemble the radio to the point where you
can get a soldering iron (15W) to the leads of the potmeter. Take out the
potmeter and try to find a clone at an electronics place (like Radio
Shack). A soldering pump or some of that braided copper wire will help to
suck up the old solder so you can more easily remove it. All this will be a
PITA, but satisfying if you're successful. If you can afford it, consider
buying a new radio instead.

You can also buy an aerosol to clean the contacts on the potmeter. I don't
like it, it lasts for about a week.

Of course, you may have a different problem. If the radio crackled when you
turned the volume knob and preferably still does this, I think it's the
volume knob.

Michiel