re: Old E34 CD Changers

James,
Nice to hear your "voice".  The '91-on E34/32 (and some '90s) have the "BMW
'91" units which will take any changer, either brand made for BMW up to
'95.  The Alpine in some early E34s and in all E30s is the infra-red slot
tuning piece of junk which requires its own changer and will blow a fuse if
connected to the Pioneer changer.  Strangely, as I recall, the early
Alpine/BMW changer will work with either brand early radio, they are just
scarce.  You can use the the CDX-M30 with the first generation of the '91
units which actually were installed through about '93 (not Pioneer4, etc)
as long as you use the PIO adapter and the factory and supplied cable (lots
of data cable).  All CDX-M30 units I've installed have come with their own
brackets, the BMW/Pioneer bracket holes don't line up with the CDX-M30 and
need to be re-drilled.  There is no real reason to use the factory
"triangular" shaped damped mounting bracket which mounts to the changer's
bracket unless you've already got one.