E36 Door Handle Lock Heater/Lighting

According to the manual of my E36, my interior lighting is supposed to come on
when I lift the door handle... But it doesn't!! Although this is only a minor
annoyance (albeit one I'd like to fix), I am concerned that this mechanism
might be related to the one that controls the door lock heater... Any input??
Even if the lock heater is OK, does anybody know what to do about the light?
I've tried lifting the handle with the car locked, unlocked, and double-locked
from both sides and I get nothing. Might this have been left out of early
production E36's?

TIA

Matt
92 325is Sharked