re: 540i Spark plugs

Tomas Perez wrote:
>Now for my question.  What's the best spark plug for this engine?  Bosch has
>a new plug that has 4 electrodes on it.  My 535iA has only one.  When I
>purchased a set for the 325isA (mail order) I noticed they had two
>electrodes.  Today I saw the new Bosch plugs advertised at AutoZone and they
>have the plugs for my car at $5.99 each.  Also, should I change the
>transmission fluid?  I heard that it's lifetime (car has 49,000 miles).

You should use only the plug specified by BMW for your car during the
warranty period which for all '93-95 V8s is 6yr/100,000 miles on the
engine.  BMW can and will bounce a warranty claim for non-specified plugs,
etc.  If you don't believe it, check the BMW motorcycle list.  It's the
current hot topic.

I don't believe BMW specifies platinum plugs for any of its models.  Some
(E28) run like cr*p with the platinums.  Your car takes a twin-ground plug
from Bosch or NGK.  Lots of folks are using the Autolite 3923 single tip
plug (less than $2 each) and claim it cures all ills from low speed surges
on the motorcycles to smoothing out power delivery on an M50 engine.  I
would stick with the Bosch during your warranty period.  Plenty of time to
experiment after you get your new short block.

- -Phil