Re: Why is my shifter ticking???

Manuel Paredes wrote:

> ticking quite loud but it was also moving with the sound of the tick.
> Meaning it was vibrating.  This only happens when I'm in third or fifth
> gear.

Is the speed or amplitude of the vibration sensitive to speed?
Check to see if your drive shaft flex disk is interfering with the shifter
selector rod.  With the car on a lift, see if the selector rod is being
polished in one spot, and/or there are obvious wear spots on, say,
dimples in the rubber of the flex disk.   My car has had this problem
ever since I installed a short shift kit and new flex disk, and it's
driving me nuts.  My service tech wants to grind away some of the
shift selector, but I'm wondering if I've got bad trans mounts or if
the flex disk is larger than spec, etc.

John
1990 ///M3