Why is my shifter ticking???

Hello all,
Last night on my way home I noticed something was ticking very loudly in
my 95 325i.  I started to try to isolate where this ticking noise was
comming from and found out it was coming from my shifter.  Not only was
it ticking quite loud but it was also moving with the sound of the tick.
Meaning it was vibrating.  This only happens when I'm in third or fifth
gear.  It's almost as if the gear isn't going in properly beacause I can
pull it out of gear without pressing the clutch.  Again this is only
third and fifth gear.  I tried putting it in gear a little harder but to
no avail.  The car runs fine in all gears. If it wasn't for that dam
ticking noise and the shifter vibrating you wouldn't even notice there
was anything wrong.  Anyone ever had this kind of problem with their 5
sp. cars?  I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a tranny problem but if
it is I want to get it fixed A.S.A.P.  Could it be my clutch?  The car
has 59,000 miles on it and I don't drive too agressively. Thanks fo your
time!!

Manul Paredes (crossing fingers it's not tranny)
1995 325i 5 sp.
BMWCCA L.A. Chapt.