<E30> rear upper shock mounts - ha!

everyone,

well, i knew that the rear upper shock mounts in my '89iX needed to be
changed but since i am no mechanic (although i'm trying and learning) i have
sorta been putting it off.  tonite i began  reading through the bently
manual to see what i was up for.  i also had some directions from other
digesters - thanks!  anyway, so i see these pictures where the mounts are
exposed and it seems easy enough.  so i go poking around just to see what it
looks like and low and behold the next thing i know it's done!  the worst
part was getting all of that trunk trim out of the way.  it took me about an
hour and 15 minutes.  not too bad i think.  just thought i would share my
experience so if you don't care page down.

1.  take out trunk carpet covering spare tire.  pull back the side trim
(PITA) which exposes the mounts.  remove the little rubber cover which
reveals the nuts (no dirty jokes!).
2.  with the jack already in place raise the car so that the tire is still
touching the ground but not much weight remains on it.  ~6 inches.
3.  remove the 2 nuts which hold the mount to the body (the smaller ones).
then remove the nut holding the shock to the mount (the big one in the
center).  go the outside of the car and pull the shock down - this should be
fairly easy.  this will allow the mount to slide out and be removed.
4.  make sure you have the new gaskets which go between the body and the
mount on the outside.  place the new mount back on top of the shock, the
gasket on top of the mount and allow the shock to rebound.  direct the
mounting bolts it into the mounting holes in the body.
5.  back in the trunk, reinstall the nuts, first the body nuts then the
shock nut.
6. do the other side - they are both about the same as far as difficulty.
7.  reinstall all the trim and carpet, close trunk, test drive, have a beer.
*one note, i thought someone (don't remember who) said that it was necessary
to remove the rear seats.  i did not need to do this and i really can't see
how this would've helped me.  maybe this is necessary on 2 doors (mine is a
4 door)?  anyone know for sure.  the bently did not mention this either.
YMMV.

if this description is too vague or someone has specific questions or if you
just want more info, please let me know and i will be glad to
clarify/elaborate.  btw, i installed the mounts from the convertible as they
are little more supportive design and should last longer.  they fit with no
concerns whatsoever.  all in all i think it was very easy.  so i am learning
about my car which is very cool.  i have lots of plans for spring including
a new suspension - both shocks and springs.  i am looking forward to
tackling more jobs as they are necessary and i will continue to post my
adventures.  i don't forsee anything else really until spring except
fluids - hopefully. ; )

thanks for everyones help on this, i really appreciate it.  till next
time......

regards,

jack money
motor city chapter