re: Short Shifter

Andrew erroneously spews:

>Why has no-one ever addressed the impact of the BL/SS ERK, which
>raises shift lever height by about an inch?  I guarantee that the
>1" will be immediately noticed, and not appreciated.  The words
>"sticks out like a sore thumb" comes to mind.

Uh, Whoa there Andrew... you seem a bit misinformed.  Yes, the ERK
raises the position of the lever by about 25mm, however, the BL/SS kit
uses the M Roadster lever which is at least 17mm shorter than most of
the stock levers giving a net height increase of no more than 8 mm
(about 5/16").  From experience, I can tell you that this difference
hardly "sticks out like a sore thumb".  It's perceptible on the first
few shifts but is not a negative at all IMO.  In fact, it's certainly a
lot less noticable than having an unbent lever that is way up and to the
right in the console... talk about "sore thumbs".

The thing you fail to mention is that increased angles on the selector
rod are said to increase wear on the seals where the selector rod meets
the tranny.  To avoid this and get much smoother shifting, I, along with
many others choose to take the properly researched, tested, and fitted
BL/SS solution... thank you very much.

Besides, with the BL/SS if you don't like the extra height and don't
mind the risk to your seals and extra shift effort, you can opt out of
the ERK and just do the base kit.  You'll save a hunert bucks, get a
3/4" lower lever, the correct bend for your car, great instructions, and
still get the installation tool, washers, clip, etc.

Anyway, each to his own I guess...

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 - Fikse'd, Sharked, BL/SS-ERK'd, X'd, ES Exhaust'd, etc...