<E36> idle problems

Hey Gang,

Lately, I noticed that my '96 328is (38K mi) is behaving a little
differently during a cold start.  When the outside temperature is below 10C
(50F), the idle speed jumps to 1700 rpm and oscillates violently between
1300 and 1700 rpm four, five times before it settles and then everything
seems as normal.

Also when stopped at a light, I can "feel" a very slight and slow
oscillation around the 700 rpm idle point.  Every time it goes down, I feel
a vibration that I don't remember feeling before.   Is it because I've never
really listened to my engine before?  (Since my stereo was being re-vamped
I've spent  the last 3 days without music in my car.)   I realize that the
specified idle speed is 700 rpm (+/- 100 rpm), but is it supposed to be
oscillating???

Has anyone noticed those things on a 328?

Thanks for any input.

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536