re: Short Shifter

Check out my posting in V9 #486.  Most of what I said will apply to post
'86 Bimmers as well.  Please note that unless your car is nearly new, you
will want to eliminate the play in the shifter that is inevitable, and will
probably welcome the opportunity to replace the tranny selector shaft and
output shaft seals that always seem to leak (good time to go to Redline MTL
as well).  I know I will be corrected if I am wrong, but the BL/SS kit does
not include the majority of the components that MUST be replaced if you are
to eliminate that play (selector rod joint, shifter tray mounting bushings,
various o-rings, etc.).  These are very cheap to buy (from BMW), moderately
difficult to install, but essential.  As I stated earlier, I rebuilt my
entire shift mechanism (reducing shifter throw by 30% ) AND eliminated all
leaks (for now) for less than $100 US, using OEM parts.  This is
substantially less than what the same project would have cost using a
combination of BL/SS and OEM parts.  I will be able to rebuild shifter
parts as long as BMW exists, using their parts.  As an added bonus, the
lever I used is about 1/2" shorter than the original lever which looks and
feels better.  Why has no-one ever addressed the impact of the BL/SS ERK,
which raises shift lever height by about an inch?  I guarantee that the 1"
will be immediately noticed, and not appreciated.  The words "sticks out
like a sore thumb" comes to mind.  Finally, yes, by moving the pivot point
of the shift lever down 1/2" in my setup I do move the angle by which
pressure is applied to the selector down from what was approximately a
straight push, but the ever so slight upward and downward pressure that is
now exerted on the selector shaft should be easily tolerated.  BTW, shift
effort in my setup was not noticeably increased (even before I went to
MTL), but maybe I was too happy shifting to notice.

Andy
'84 318i
Short, Tight, CHEAP Shifter Upgrade
Guiness (in the can or on draught) Drinker