<E36> Transmission failure at 7000 mi

Jerry asked about E36 tranny problems.   I have a 97 M3 with now about 17K
on it, and the tranny is still quite stiff, especially going into first and
occasionally second.   I think BMW has beefed up the synchros in their M
trannys (or is it trannies?) for 2nd and 3rd, especially since most people
tend to jam it hard going in second.   I destroyed a 95 530i 5 speed
transmission and BMW's replacement felt like a rebuild with beefier synchos
(i.e., not as silky smooth).   I have since driven a 540/6 and my M and an
M coupe, and they all seem to be a lot stiffer than they were in the good
old days.

BTW, I had to have my differential replaced at 9K because the clutches were
making noise.   I suspected the mechanic didn't add limited-slip additive
when he serviced it, but he said it was all pre-mixed so he didn't have to.
Someone else mentioned to me that E36 rear ends have a history of failing
early.   Any comments?

How about E36 clutch pedal squeaking?   Several people have also mentioned
that they too have this problem, as do I.