Re: <E36> Transmission failure at 7000 mi

>Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:47:25 -0600
>From: Michael_Bird@domain.elided <mailto:Michael_Bird@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E36> Transmission failure at 7000 mi
>
>Jerry asked about E36 tranny problems. I have a 97 M3 with now about 17Kon
it, and the tranny is still quite stiff, especially going into first and
>occasionally second. I think BMW has beefed up the synchros in their M
trannys (or is it trannies?) for 2nd and 3rd, especially since most people
tend to >jam it hard going in second.

Michael, there is no such thing as an "M-tranny."  E36 M3 shares its 5-speed
transmission with the 328.  My tranny is also rather stiff going into 1st
and 2nd even after 38K miles.   Especially when cold.  In my case, the shift
effort is further accentuated by the AC Schnitzer Short Shift.  After
switching to Red Line fluid the shift effort was slightly reduced.

>BTW, I had to have my differential replaced at 9K because the clutches were
making noise. I suspected the mechanic didn't add limited-slip additive
>when he serviced it, but he said it was all pre-mixed so he didn't have to.
Someone else mentioned to me that E36 rear ends have a history of failing
>early.  Any comments?

I've been hearing an occasional thump emanating form my rear differential
when shifting into 1st.  I've had it looked at the dealer but of course
"they all do that."  Do they really?

>How about E36 clutch pedal squeaking? Several people have also mentioned
that they too have this problem, as do I.

Oh gawd yeah.  Mine is driving me crazy!

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536