RE: Instrument Cluster

Greg, et. al.,

I did this at Race Marque Systems in L.A.  It wasn't easy and it gave =

BMW of San Francisco  conniptions when they couldn't read my old =

mileage (new odo starts at 000 per BMW NA) for a warranty claim.  =

But they took a fax from Race Marque as evidence of the old + new =

mileage so I got my warranty work done OK (water pump -- surprise, =

surprise).

It's a neat mod that I like a lot but it wasn't easy or obvious.  Those =

contemplating this should know the BMP gauges-under-the-OBC =

or on the A pillar are more cost effective.  Check out what Ron Stygar
 and Ben Liaw have done.  Another way is the Alpina Digital Cockpit, =

an impressive high-tech display.  None of these involve touching the
 ZCS.  I've written this up for the Roundel; Digesters can e-mail me in =

the meantime if they want details.

BTW, the MoDic may be cool, but from what I've heard even the newer =

DIS doesn't always read faults correctly. This fly-by-wire stuff where =

everything is run through a black box makes mods harder and introduces =

the chance for programming errors that can affect seemingly unrelated =

systems, including critical safety systems.  It's only going to get worse=
 =

with the E46 and newer cars that use a common bus.  =

 -- Mark

Mark McHarry
95 M3 ITZTLI w/ a proper oil temp gauge
BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter #82852